My day did not start out auspiciously. Once AGAIN it began by waiting for a bus that never came and having to drive daughter to school at the last minute, then spending a good amount of time on the phone with the bus transportation company's version of Larry, Curley & Moe, trying to figure out why they can't seem to accomplish the simple task of picking my daughter up. Eventually I found out that, yes, the bus did come down our road - at 6:14am. However WE were out there at the time they told us to be - 6:30am! (actually 10 minutes earlier than that - just to be on the safe side - ha!). HOPEFULLY all is rectified and daughter will finally be making her first school bus ride tomorrow. Based on our recent experiences, however, I'm not holding out much hope....
On the plus side - hubby is finally back home from his 4 day trip, which of course, conveniently occurred just when I could've used his help this first hectic week of back to school. Oh well.... C'est la vie. I know the guy works hard to give us a good life... constantly sacrificing for our needs, etc. blah, blah, blah... Or, at least that's what I tried to tell myself when he called me from his Las Vegas layover, with the sound of slot machines ringing in the background, to tell me he'd just won a whopping 5 dollars - woohoo! Anyway, now HE gets to be the one to get our darling daughter & son off to school tomorrow morning (and deal with any further ensuing school bus debacles!) while I try to sleep in. I figure I've earned it. At least for one day, anyhow.
It's not like I get to be "Queen for a Day" however. Tomorrow is the day I have to go in for my initial consult for my first ever colonoscopy. Fun. Fun. Joy, Joy. Yes, this is what we, who have passed the ripe old age of 50, get to look forward to. A necessary evil, I guess. Hubby had his consult two weeks ago and goes on the liquid diet thing tomorrow in preparation for the actual procedure the day afterward. First time for him, as well. At least I don't have to go first - I prefer seeing how he handles it rather than myself being the guinea pig first!
Speaking of colonoscopies... darling daughter asked me today what kind of doctor does the procedure. Hmmm... Seriously? I have NO idea. A proctologist maybe? All I know is that we have to be referred from a gastrointerologist type. Why? No idea. But that got me wondering - why on God's Green Earth, with ALL of the medical specialties out there, would someone actually WANT to be a "Proctologist" anyway? Is that something people actually dream of becoming? Or something they just happened to fall into? Were they the highest or lowest scoring students in Medical School? Is it considered an elite specialty? Because... really... I just can't imagine proudly telling someone I am "proctologist"! I mean, I'm glad we have them and all, I really am... it's just... I can't imagine the mind set of someone who actually wanted to be one! Gynocologist? Yes. Surgeon? Sure. ENT, Family Practice, Obstetrician?... All of them I can understand somewhat (Especially the Gynos, if you're a straight guy, that is!) - but the idea of poking around in people's backsides all day long just does not seem appealing to me at all. But then, I guess someone has to do it! Just Thank God it's not ME!
No comments:
Post a Comment