Sunday, August 18, 2013

"You might ask yourself: 'Well, How Did I Get Here?"


At the age of 51 I find myself rudderless, but not directionless. I know where I want to go, I'm just not sure exactly how I'm going to get there.  Not a new feeling for me, actually - I've never really had a specific direction for my life. I've always just taken whatever route appealed to me at the time and then just went with the flow from there. Usually, however, those routes have not been exactly what one would consider "typical". 

Career:
While most of my friends were getting married or involved in serious relationships right out of college, I was out there flitting from one job opportunity to the next, sampling the smorgasbord of life. Nothing totally *fit* me though - advertising sales jobs, military marketing, hospitality industry sales, public relations, modeling...I liked different aspects of each one, but never found one that seemed to be completely ME. Then, thanks to an attempt to force a relationship that was going nowhere, I came across an ad for becoming a flight attendant with a major airline. Hmmm.... now THIS might be worth a look-see! Let's just see how quickly the boyfriend "gets off the pot" and gets serious when he thinks I might actually be moving away to a big city with a glamorous career. So I applied, interviewed and to my utter shock and amazement was actually offered a flight attendant training slot.  WHOA people - I wasn't really serious here... or was I??! The news that I was offered the job didn't seem to even jolt the boyfriend one iota - so obviously that was a go-nowhere situation. And with the advent of a new and curmudgeonly boss, the current job I was in was rapidly losing it's appeal. Could I... should I...?? Do I seriously uproot myself and put myself into a career that doesn't even require the college diploma I'd worked so hard to earn? A quick phone call to my ever-wise mom, a woman who had definitely lived her own life by taking chances,  only served to encourage me further. "You can always go back to the career you were doing, but you may never get THIS opportunity ever again. Now, while you are single and unattached, is the perfect time for you to try things like this!" And so.... with those words of wisdom ringing in my ears, I picked up the phone once again and called the airline training center, setting up an official training date.

Suffice it to say that I surprised myself by totally loving that job. The flight attendant career ended up being a perfect fit for me at that time of my life. I was based in New York City, got an apartment with another flight attendant and spent both my free and working time jetting all over the world visiting a variety of places and friends and just plain having fun. The lifestyle allowed me the opportunity to meet and date a variety of different men, as well....


Social Life:
After years of flitting around here and there and a number of short, non-serious relationships, I was starting to get bored. I wanted something more substantial.... a guy I could actually share a life and start a family with. Easier said than done at my age, though. I was now 29 and most of the appealing guys my age had already settled down... or weren't looking for anything serious. I began to resign myself to the fact that I just might end up as that old flight attendant cliche' - the single "Seniorita" living in a condo with nothing but cats for company..   Then, I met my future husband..!

I was on temporary furlough with my job at the moment, so with nothing better to do, offered to help my dear friend drive her car from Florida back to her hometown in Kingsville, Texas, where she was starting a new job.  For those of you who've never been there, let me explain. Kingsville is a small town.. very small. At the time I don't think it even had a mall or it's own newspaper. But it did have one thing. A navy pilot training base!  Woo Hoo!  Young, hot, single guys everywhere. Apparently single, attractive women were at a premium in that town, so upon arrival my friend and I were in hog heaven! We were soon invited to a squadron picnic on the base and out of boredom, fortuitously decided to attend. Upon our arrival we soon learned we were the only single females at the event. Oh yeah! After awhile, however, I realized that most of these wanna-be pilot types were all quite a bit younger than me. They had joined the military and started flight school right after college. They were still fun, but didn't have a lot in common with me. I eventually excused myself to go to the restroom in the officer's club. Upon my exit, I decided to stop and get myself a cocktail at the bar. There was only one other person at the bar that day - everyone else was still at the picnic. I wondered what this tall, dark haired guy wearing a red football jersey, jeans and snakeskin cowboy boots bellied up at the bar was doing at this event. Definitely not one of the flight students wearing the pre-requisite plaid shorts, sandals and polo shirt. No... this guy must work at the club or be a grounds keeper, caretaker or something. Feeling bold and friendly, I introduced myself while waiting for my drink. We chatted briefly - just long enough for me to learn that he was a student. But older than the others as he was going through pilot training after already having been a backseater/navigator in a fighter squadron. And just a year older than me. My interest was piqued, to say the least - however despite the lack of a wedding band (which doesn't mean much with pilots - they don't wear them for safety reasons when they fly) the guy just didn't seem that interested in conversing... or in me.  So, after paying for my drink I nonchalantly said my goodbyes and told him I was going to go look for my friend, then returned to the picnic outside. And that was the end of that....

Or so I thought!  A few days later my friend and I decided to ride bikes over to visit some student pilots she knew, only to find upon our arrival that they weren't home. The door at the apartment next to theirs was open, however, with sounds of a football game emanating from it, so my friend decided to poke her head in and ask about the whereabouts of the guys we came to visit. The tenant of the apartment invited us in and to my surprise I recognized the cowboy boot guy from the O-Club bar a few days back! And even more surprising, apparently my friend knew him!  "Hey!! I didn't know you lived here too - we came over looking for Rocky and Scott but they weren't there.  Do you happen to know where they are? And, oh, by the way, this is my friend, Diane."  Tom and I both smiled at each other with a look of recognition in our eyes. "So, I see you found your friend that day."  "Yep". "Well, the guys are flying tonight so won't be home, but you are free to join me if you want - I just ordered some pizza and was going to watch a movie on t.v. after the game."  "Uh... ok."

So that's how it all started. Tom and I ended up hitting it off much better than we had at our initial meeting. Maybe it was the addition of my girlfriend to take the edge off, but whatever it was, I was noticing some definite chemistry. Tom had more in common with me than I realized. He had been an east coast based F-14 Tomcat Rio - just like my previous longterm boyfriend. (they didn't know each other, though).  He had parents who were “older”, too (my mom was 40 when she had me, his was 42 when he was born!), we liked the same music – reggae, Buffett, jazz, country…Anyway, before the night was done, I think my poor friend was feeling a bit like a third thumb as Tom and I definitely were spiking an interest in each other. As the evening wore on and we were discussing astronomy, he asked if I wanted  to see the constellations on a device he had that would project them onto the ceiling.  By this time, my friend was fast asleep on the sofa in the other room. Upon my agreement, Tom set up the “star machine” and we both cuddled in close as he explained about what we were looking at. Then, at one perfectly opportune moment, he simply turned his head and kissed me.  A long, deep, romantic soul-searching kiss that seared me right down to my curled up toes! That was it – from that moment on, I was a goner.  I was completely head over heels about this guy. And despite a crazy on-again, off-again relationship that happily finally culminated in our marriage 7 years later - with me at the ripe old age of 36 - I still am crazy about that man - and he still curls my toes, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment