Monday, September 9, 2013

The Itch that never stops....

My how time flies when you're having "fun"... Been awhile since I checked in here, so I figure I'd better make an appearance for all my adoring fans ;-)

So... school has started and the kids are finding their routine. Am I? Nah, not really. All my great intentions of being motivated to start my new workout program, etc., have been derailed due to problems I've been having with a painful hip. It's been hurting me for about a month so I finally decided to go get it checked out. Several x-rays and dr. visits later and I have two diagnoses: bursitis and "I don't have a clue, but we can treat it with a steroid shot if you like..!".  Huh? Hey -wait a minute. I'm only 51! Isn't this "old people stuff", not something I'm supposed to be dealing with NOW? Guess that means I officially really AM an "old person"! What the heck causes "bursitis", anyway and does it ever go away? 'Cause I'm really not loving having to take 800mg of ibuprofin each night in order to dull the pain enough to sleep!  You see - that's why I hate going to the doctor. They treat the symptom and not the problem. And once I get back home I can never remember exactly what they said about everything, and I suddenly think of tons of questions that I *should* have asked but forgot.  Oh well... at least he said he'd put in an order for me to get some physical therapy.  I'm HOPING that ends up including massages, as well...!

Other than my health (geeze, I really DO sound like an "old person" now, don't I?!), life has been plugging along. My cousin in Alabama called to invite us to an upcoming family reunion in early November. Great! These are some really nice people and I'm looking forward to reconnecting with everyone again - for once not over a casket. Only problem is, I just realized that it happens to be on the very date and time of the LSU-Alabama game! Acck! Oh well... family's more important that football... right?? Now, try to convince my brothers and husband of that!

So. I've also been getting that itch. You know the one - the travel itch. It usually starts up around this time of year with me, for some reason. A couple of years ago I got it and ended up booking an 11 day cruise to Turkey and the Holy lands.  My then 12 year old homeschooled son accompanied me... it was an awesome trip with memories to last a lifetime.
Haga Sophia mosque in Istanbul, Turkey







At Masada in Israel




















At the Acropolis in Athens, Greece
Non-revving detour took us to Dubai, UAE while trying to get back home














Only problem is, now I've got this darned hip problem to deal with. And now that my son's in "real" school, no potential travel partner to strong-arm into going someplace with me. Everyone else I know actually has a "life"!

So.... I started thinking about maybe going somewhere over Thanksgiving. Yeah - like that's not the most heavily traveled holiday of the year and and just an invitation for self-flagellation if you're traveling as a non-rev? But wait.... Thanksgiving is an AMERICAN holiday - so maybe people won't all be flying to Europe then, right?  Sure, our chances of finding empty seats on a flight out of this small town at that town would be hell, but we could always drive up to Atlanta.  So... I hop online and start checking destinations and loads on hubby's airline travel site. Dang - Delta doesn't seem to go ANYWHERE good from Atlanta anymore.. But wait a minute. They DO fly to Dublin, Ireland. And somehow I've never been to Ireland.... Hmm...Maybe...?  And right now the loads in first class (ok, so it's actually "business class - Delta doesn't actually have a first class, so biz class is as good as it gets there. Oh, for the good old days with TWA and a REAL first class - complete with caviar, liquor cordials and chateau briand!).  SO... if I can talk hubby into it (after all, he IS 1/2 Irish!) and convince the kids to miss 3 days of school that week, then maybe we could do this. That is, if my blasted hip will cooperate!  I will definitely keep this one simmering on the burner...!

No comments:

Post a Comment